Freshman football opens great against Stony Point

by / 0 Comments / 159 View / September 24, 2013

By Tony Adams
Sports Editor

Freshman White 22 Stony Point 8

The Belton Freshman White squad hung 22 points on the Stony Point Tigers squad through three-and-a-half quarters and held on for a 22-8 at Tiger Field Thursday night.
Belton collected the opening kickoff on their own 37-yard line. Big Red methodically worked their way into Stony Point territory. On the eighth play of the drive, Stony Point stepped in front of a pass for the game’s first takeaway on the Belton 48.
Stony Point entered the Belton red zone in just two plays. Big Red held Stony on fourth down and four on the Belton 14.
On the next play, Belton fumbled the ball on their own 11 and it was recovered by Stony Point. The visitors picked up yardage on a Belton personal foul penalty to give Stony Point first down and goal on the Belton 3-yard line. Belton rose to the occasion and knocked back the visitors with three consecutive tackles for losses and a sack to force a turnover on downs on their own 33-yard line, as the stop turned the momentum of the game.
Quarterback Peyton Mansell guided the offense into Stony Point territory with completions to Lance Russell and Weston Lucas. On second down and 6-yards-to-go on Stony Point’s 12-yard line, Taggart hit Lucas in the back corner of the end zone for a touchdown strike. The two-point conversion successful and Belton took an 8-0 with 5:20 to play in the second quarter.
Following another successful Belton defensive stand, Peyton Mansell went to work and immediately hit Kailib Vaughn with a 46-yard pass to set Belton up on Stony Point’s 12-yard line. Two plays later, Russell broke into the end zone on a three-yard touchdown. The two-point try was unsuccessful and Big Red took a 14-0 lead into the halftime locker room.
Both teams exchange several possessions in the third quarter, with no one denting the scoreboard.
After another Belton defensive stop late in the third quarter, Belton started to drive against; this time from the Stony Point 48-yard line. Mansell engineered the drive that he ended with 6:56 remaining in the game scoring on a 10-yard run to make the score 22-0 Belton.
The teams exchanged fumbles on consecutive plays before Stony Point was unable to mount a comeback and punted the ball back to Belton with 3:38 remaining. The punt was bobbled by Belton returner and Stony Point ran the fumble down to the Belton 3-yard line. Two plays later, a quarterback keeper put Stony Point on the scoreboard and the two-point conversion made the score 22-8.
Stony Point attempted an onside kick, but to no avail.
Brandon Hunt had eight tackles for Belton. Brandon Grimm had three sacks and four tackles for loss. Mason Crisman had three tackles for loss.
The Tigers ran out the clock to collect their first victory of the season. They will travel to take on Bryan next Thursday afternoon.

Freshman Red 36 Stony Point 18

The Belton Tigers’ Freshman Red squad hit Stony Point early and often as Big Red delivered the knockout punch early on. Big Red dropped Stony Point 36-18 Thursday night at Tiger Field.
John Taggart hit Hunter Garrett with a 75-yard pass to set up Taggart’s one-yard plunge for the Tigers to put Belton up 6-0.
Following an answering touchdown by Stony Point, The Tigers fed the visitors a steady diet of Davion Peoples’ runs and capped the drive with a four-yard score to make the score 14-6.
Two plays following the kickoff, Stony Point got a 76-yard touchdown run and made the score 14-12. The two-point conversion failed.
Belton took the next kickoff to their own 34-yard line. They were able to get a first down, but were stranded on the Stony Point 45-yard line on fourth down.
Stony Point bridged the next drive into the second quarter and scored on a 27-yard pass play to take an 18-14 lead.
The Tigers got rolling three plays into the next drive, finding lightning in a bottle on a pass play from Taggart to Peoples for 31 yards to the Stony Point 43-yard line. Belton drove down into the red zone, but stalled out on second down on an interception.
On the very next play, Belton’s Dallas Paschall forced and recovered a fumble on the Stony Point 12-yard line to put the Tigers immediately in the red zone. Two plays later, a tipped pass was picked off by Stony Point.
The strangeness of the quarter continued just two plays later as Hunter Garrett jumped a Stony Point pass pattern and intercepted the ball and ran it back 12 yards for a Belton touchdown and gave the Tigers a 20-18 lead at the half.
The third quarter did not start well for Stony Point. A kick that was misplayed was carried out to their own 16-yard line, but a block in the back penalty placed the ball back on the 8-yard line. Another penalty put the ball on the 3-yard line. Following a one-yard gain, another penalty put the ball back on the two. Belton sent an all-out blitz and sacked the Stony Point quarterback in the end zone for a safety and increased the Tigers’ lead to four points at 22-18.
Following the free kick, Belton wasted no time in sewing a drive together. Six plays later, Peoples broke through the middle for a 18-yard touchdown to give the Tigers a 30-18 lead.
Stony Point tried to mount a drive to get them closer, but two plays into the drive Kobe Sanchez intercepted the ball and returned it 39 yards for an apparent touchdown, but a personal foul call on Belton during the run back took the six points off the board temporarily.
Two plays into Belton’s ensuing drive, Taggart found Zach Rumfield for a 39-yard reception, setting up first and goal on the 5-yard line. Peoples blasted through the line for a 5-yard score and gave Belton an 18-point lead at 36-18.
Neither team scored the rest of the contest, as multiple turnovers and turnover-on-down situations occupied the score sheets and kept points from the scoreboard.