By Elizabeth Varville, Correspondent
Since 1850, the City of Belton’s history has been etched in the heart of Central Texas. The essence of the city’s heritage can be witnessed through experiencing the charm of downtown and the historic houses that decorate the city’s streets. Many of these timeless houses date back to the early 1900s when the city began to thrive. The story of the city’s past can be felt among our ancestors as they compel us to continue to allow the inner voice of our city to be heard.
Built in 1907, the timeless house at 620 S. Main St. is the home of Fred Muehlhause Sr. and Marie Louise Albrecht. Muehlhause owned his own boot and shoe shop on East Street in Belton until his retirement. In 1895 he became a member of the First Presbyterian Church, oldest Presbyterian Church in Bell County, where he served as an elder and a deacon for many years. He was also a charter member of the Belton Volunteer Fire Department and served on the City Council and a member of the Knights of Pythias.
According to the 1998 book “The Story of Bell County” by E.A. Limmer, Muehlhause was born May 6, 1868 in Waldkappel, Germany to Johann Franz and Anna Gertrude Muhlaus. In 1885, living in Germany with several siblings and widowed mother, his older sister Anna sent him a one-way airplane ticket so he could witness her wedding in Texas. Since Muehlhause was an apprentice shoemaker in Germany, he was hired at Hammersmith’s Shoe Store in Belton at 17. After a few years, Muehlhause then opened his own shoe business called “Muehlhause and Sons” which would now be located across from the Belton Courthouse. According to the 1910 U.S. Census record, Muehlhause became an U.S. citizen in 1885. On Nov. 23, 1892, Muehlhause married Marie Louise Albrecht of Pflugerville, Texas. They had seven children. Muehlhause died on Nov. 16, 1947 and his wife died on July 26, 1961. The couple, along with Muehlhause’s mother, is buried in the North Belton Cemetery. Many descendants of the Muehlhause family still live in the surrounding areas of Belton.
He had a sixth-grade education and was able to make boots and shoes by the time he was 12. He was a hard-working man,” said E. Fred Tulloch, Ph. D.
E. Fred Tulloch, Ph.D., one of the 15 grandchildren of the couple, is a native of Belton and graduated from Belton High School in 1955. Prior to entering the field of professional counseling, Dr. Tulloch was a pastor in three churches in Arkansas and Texas. He is a graduate of the 24-month Clinical Residency Program at the Pastoral Counseling and Education Center in Dallas, Texas. He earned a Ph.D. Degree in Education and Counseling from Texas A&M University-Commerce, and a D. Min Degree in Education and Ethics from Southern Methodist University’s Perkins School of Theology. While at Texas A&M-Commerce, he was chosen as an Outstanding Doctoral Student and in 1987, as an Outstanding Alumnus of the University. He also holds a degree from Baylor University and a Master of Divinity and Theology degrees from Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. He is currently doing individual, marriage, family, and group therapy professionally in Grand Prairie, Texas and still has hopes of relocating back to Belton in the future.
His mother, Clara Muehlhause Tulloch married Robert Euclid Tulloch II in 1931 and resided at 900 S. Main St. Unfortunately, the house has since been torn down. The house was given to the Tullochs by Muehlhause as a wedding gift, a tradition he did for all seven children. Clara was an alumnus of UMHB, formally known as Baylor Female College. She worked as an elementary school teacher at Tarver Elementary (no longer standing as well) located on Main Street. The couple later moved to what is sometimes referred to as the “Tulloch House” located at 708 Second Street. The house was built by John Johnston Roberson, E. Fred Tulloch’s great-grandfather (by marriage) in 1875.
“It may be inspiring and enjoyable for the residents of Belton to read and reflect on the life, choices, and accomplishment of my grandfather whom I was named after,” said Tulloch.